Friday, August 18, 2006

The delight of Spring

From Wind in the Willows:
"Spring was moving in the air above and in the earth below and around him, penetrating even his dark and lowly little house with its spirit of divine discontent and longing."

I know how Moley felt - I can feel the stirring and the general feeling of well-being that these gorgeous days with their brillant warmth, incredible sunrises and sunsets bring. The warmth makes the aches and pains less and fills me with "joi de vie".

Had the MRI today at the San. It was fine. I was a little sleepy from sedation and my sister came down to drive me again but I treated her to a fine lunch at the local pub with a glass of wine which all in all was a pleasant way to spend Friday. Had xrays of hands done at the same time and it is off the hand surgeon on Tuesday week to talk about fusing some joints.

It is surprising the number of people who have told me that they too have had bulging discs and that it righted itself after months or even years. How on earth do you put up with this pain for so long? I cant walk, I cant stand, I have trouble sleeping because of the pain when I am lying down. I have stood it for 4 months but if I can possibly have an operation and get some relief I will chance it.

Anyway back to wind in the willows:
"up we go, up we go till at last, pop! his snout came out into the sunlight and he found himself rolling the warm grass of a great meadow. This is fine he said to himself. This is better than whitewashing!" The sunshine struck hot on his fur, soft breezes caressed his heated brow, and after the seclusion of the cellarage he had lived in so long the carol of happy birds fell on his dulled hearing almost like a shout. Jumping off all his four legs at once, in the joy of living and the delight of spring without its cleaning, he pursued his way across the meadow till he reached the hedge on the further side."

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Spring!
    Glad your MRI is over. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are finding your joi de vie. Now I will join you as spring is just around the corner. I am glad the MRI went well and I agree if there is an operation to take the pain away go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please to hear the MRI went well.

    The operation may be your answer - take care:)

    ReplyDelete